Wednesday 8 May 2013

Hey Handsome: The Paperie May kit

I had a great time adding mixed media elements to my pages this month. Here's a page I made using the Derwent Inktense Watercolor Pencils.

Hey Handsome

It all started with the feather paper from Studio Calico's Sundrifter collection. Here's the whole  collection..

You can see a little piece of that paper peeking out from behind my photo here.

Hey Handsome_closeup 3

First, I sketched my pattern of circles with a pencil. Then I gave the grid background paper a coat of clear gesso. Like regular white gesso, clear gesso acts as a tooth and a barrier and that helps cardstock stand up to mixed media techniques.

Quick tip: if you want to erase your pencil lines then gesso first and sketch second. Once you put the gesso over your pencil marks you can't erase them. Ok? Good!

When the gesso was dry,  I colored in the circles using the Derwent Inktense Watercolor Pencils. They are a quick and easy way to get color on a page without a lot mess. I chose Baked Earth, Poppy Red, Tangerine, Teal Green and Sun Yellow for this page. I used water and a round brush to blend the color. I let them dry and then I colored them again to intensify the color. Finally I sketched over each circle with the Ink Black watercolor pencil.

Hey Handsome_closeup 2

Then I added my title and journaling, some stamping and pen-work. I don't think it's honest to call dots "doodling" but it does involve work with a pen.

Here's a better look at the pen-work.

Hey Handsome_closeup 1

And that's it for today. I hope you're enjoying this month's kit from The Paperie. And don't forget to hop over to Krista's blog. She killed the kit this month and has lots of wonderful pages to share, too.

Thanks for stopping by!

Cathie







No comments:

Post a Comment